FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My wife and i are divorcing. she doesnt work and hasnt the

Customer Question

My wife and i are divorcing. she doesnt work and hasnt the whole time we've been together. I am currently staying at a friends house and paying rent on the apartment we have together. I want to go back to the apartment as i cannot aford to have my own and pay the rent on the other one. is there anything i can do to either get her out or get myself off the lease so that i dont have to keep paying that rent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you wanted to try and get her out, you can ask the Judge to order she vacate and you maintain sole possession. The problem which you may face is that she does not work nor has income, so she may not have a place to go. If that is the case, then you might be ordered to pay her temporary support, until the divorce is final. As far as getting off the lease, that is at the discretion of the landlord, since it has nothing to do with the court. If they wanted to release you, they can and terminate the lease but again, she will likely ask the Judge to order her support.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.