ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

When I marry in Florida, do I become response spouses

Customer Question

When I marry in Florida, do I become response for my spouses debts? What about debt incurred after marriage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
No. Separate debt (debt incurred before marriage) will remain separate debt so long as you do not voluntarily agree to be liable for it (through a co-signing or guarantor agreement).
Marital debt (debt incurred during marriage) is a bit more difficult.Debts acquired during the marriage that are listed only in one spouse’s name, used as separate property and not paid with marital funds may be considered non-marital. Generally, if one spouse takes out a credit card but none of the charges on it have contributed to the marriage, it might be considered that spouse’s separate debt, and you would have no obligation to it.
Debt that is opened in both spouse's names is a marital debt, and you could be subject to it. But if it's entirely in your husband's name, before or after marriage, and you don't benefit from the debt, you're not going to be responsible for it.
Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!