Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My nephew's mother just passed away last week. His mother

Customer Question

My nephew's mother just passed away last week. His mother left behind my nephew's 3.5 year old half sister. Can he get sibling visitation rights, so he can continue to see her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Please tell me
How old is your nephew?
Where is the half-sister?
Have they always lived together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They both live in Pennsylvania. My nephew is 21. They never lived together actually.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Thank youHe would need to establish that there has been a bonding relationship with his sibling. There are no specific statutes under PA law that automatically grant the right of 3rd parties, other than grandparents, to have visitation. So I suggest the courts will look at each on a case by case basis. And so it is important that he be able to show that because of a prior visitation schedule, time spent with the sister has created the bonding that without the continuance of such visits the sister would be harmful to the sister.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Of course, it is best if the parent will agree to the visits instead of a court and I suggest that you consider mediation to help the families communicate better about such visits, even if they are supervised with the family of the sister.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I suggest that if they had lived together, his chances would increase.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your sister and hope that your nephew is able to heal from his loss in a timely fashion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much for your answers and your time. very helpful. thank you for your condolences.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou're welcome. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating. And best of everything to all.