How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27692
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a mistress years and my significant other

Customer Question

I have been a mistress for 7 years and my significant other has been married to his wife of over 25 years. She has no idea I even exist. He has provided everything and emptied I don't work from the beginning. I want to end the relationship. What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you don't have any rights. In general, unmarried partners do not have any right to alimony when a relationship ends or to any property owned by the other partner. There has to be some kind of written agreement that would allow for it.
In your case, though, there's an added wrinkle. Texas is a community property state, which means that the spouses are supposed to jointly manage and dispose of property. If he tried to give you some part of the community property, his wife may actually be able to prevent it. He'd only be able to promise to give you some portion of his personal earnings deposited into his OWN bank account (not a joint account) or money that was his separate property before they married. The law values the marital relationship very highly, and so there are a lot of protections afforded to spouses that unfortunately are not available to third parties.
The only way you would be able to claim anything at all from him is if he signs a written agreement and his wife doesn't contest it. You are, however, entitled to keep any and all gifts he gave you, and you're entitled to half the value of anything you bought together (like if you bought furniture or something).
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.

Related Family Law Questions