Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My husband passed away in spring last year. A bill addressed

Customer Question

My husband passed away in spring last year. A bill addressed to him arrived yesterday, for lab tests in 2013, for which I was not present and signed nothing accepting responsibility. The insurance company paid its portion by 4/2014, yet we are just now, over a year after the insurance payment and over 1-1/2 years after the tests, being billed. While he was alive, had we been billed promptly, we could have paid the amount (even though it was unexpected). I am now on a much lower, fixed income, and cannot afford $1700+. Am I responsible, after they waited more than a year after receiving the insurance payment to bill him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific situation, unfortunately, generally because California is community property state, both spouses are equally liable for each other debt and generally, the best approach would be to attempt to negotiate a settlement with the company that had send the bill for a reduced lump sum payment or am affordable monthly payment.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.