Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

A lawfirm is currently representing me. I requested to hire

Customer Question

A lawfirm is currently representing me. I requested to hire another attorney to represent me again in custody case. I was turned down then to find out the same attorney has now been appointed as my sons guardian of litem? This was choice of judge. Does this mean this attorney is able to take my case on?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid a guardian ad litem is an attorney appointed just for the child. The ad litem does not represent any of the parents in the case only the child. So just because the court has appointed the attorney for the child, that does not mean the attorney can take your case. In fact, now he cannot take your case because he represents your child and that would be a conflict of interest.