Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

If married in NYS but retire and build a home after married...in

Customer Question

if married in NYS but retire and build a home after married...in AZ does it consider community property in the state I will reside after we retire and build ..AZ is a community state but will marry in NY
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
added my card number and asked for email but password ***** not work so I asked for a call.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there -
-
The state in which you are married has no bearing on the laws that would affect your marriage if you do not live in that state during the marriage OR you have not lived in that state for at least six months prior to the date which you file for divorce or a spouse dies in the state where you are currently living. So, turning specifically to your question, if you live in AZ and build the house in AZ, then that state laws will apply (community property laws) in the event of separation, divorce or death of a spouse after moving there. The court in AZ would not and could not apply NY law simply because you were married there. This is something like all of the Las Vegas "Quickie" marriages -- yes, they are legal and if you leave LV and live in another state after the marriage, the laws of the state where you are living apply to a divorce.
-
I noted after writing this answer that you requested a telephone call with an expert -- however, I really do not want to see you spend the additional money for a telephone call when it is not really needed in this case / for this question. (When you select a telephone call, the customer service department will generally get back to you and tell you that it is an Additional Service for an additional fee and then tell you how much that fee is on top of the deposit you have paid for this question). Obviously, I will be more than happy to get on the telephone with you -- but I am very confident that the answer I gave to you is correct regarding NY marriage and an AZ domicile -- and I do not want to see you waste money if not needed. I am happy to answer any additional followup questions that you may have on this matter in this forum.
-
I also would appreciate it if you would press a positive rating below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating before leaving the website. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you more money --it is just the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!
-
MARY
-