Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I AM A MATERNAL GRANDPARENT WHO RIGHT NOW HAS GUARDIANSHIP

Customer Question

I AM A MATERNAL GRANDPARENT WHO RIGHT NOW HAS GUARDIANSHIP OF MY TWO GRANDCHILDREN WHO LIVED IN FLORIDA. tHEY CAME TO SEE ME IN THE SUMMER OF 2014. WHEN THEY ARRIVED THEY WERE VERY UNDER NOURISHED AND FULL OF HEAD LICE AND TOLD THAT THEY NEVER HAD FOOD TO EAT. I CALLED CPS IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK TO FIND OUT WHAT I COULD DO TO SEEK GUARDIANSHIP OF THEM. THEY TOLD ME TO FILE A CASE AND GO TO FAMILY COURT HERE IN NEW YORK. SO I DID AND AT THE TIME THEIR MOTHER DID NOT HAVE PROPER HOUSING FOR THEM IN FLORIDA. SO THE JUDGE GAVE ME GUARDIANSHIP OF THEM AFTER SIX WEEKS. SHE NOW WANTS TO HAVE THE CHILDREN BACK AND THE CHILDREN DO NOT WANT TO GO THEY WANT TO STAY IN NEW YORK. THEY WENT TO SCHOOL HERE AND HAVE A STABLE HOME. ACCORDING TO MOM'S LAWYER IS FIGHTING THE FACT THAT THE MOTHER DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS HAPPENING BECAUSE SHEDID NOT HAVE A LAWYER TO REPRESENT HER. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT I HAVE TO KEEPING THEM HERE
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, how old are the children? Prior to this, did your daughter ever have any other CPS complaints? Did CPS confirm your story, and did they testify on your behalf when you were granted guardianship? As far as your daughter, how fit as a parent is she in your opinion?