Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If your spouse the respondent does not live in Washington

Customer Question

If your spouse the respondent does not live in Washington state, I noticed that one can still file for a divorce. When determining jurisdiction for jurisdiction over respondent what information would be placed there?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I am sorry, but I do not understand your question.
You need to provide additional information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to information I found a petitioner can file for a divorce in the state of Washington as long as the petitioner resides here even if the respondent lives in another state. To file for divorce in Washington, either you or your spouse must be a state resident. State law doesn't require you to live in Washington for any specific length of time. As long as you or your spouse has established residency, you can file for divorce within the state. So my question is on petition for dissolution of marriage under section 1.7 for jurisdiction which option is checked if the respondent never resided in the state of Washington?
Thank you for the information.
Because I do not practice law in Washington State, I am going to opt out of this question and give an Attorney who handles divorce cases in Washington State to further assist you.
Please do not respond to me because doing so would delay a response from another Attorney.
Thank you for your cooperation.