How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12133
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been separated years. I recently

Customer Question

My wife and I have been separated for ten years. I recently filled out divorce paperwork online. I'm ready to begin the process which means I've to have papers notarized and filed in country clerks office. if this is amicable can my wife and i sign all necessary paperwork at the same time and submit them? No children,property or animosity in this situation what so ever. We just need to get this done.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
In which state are you both located? In other words, where will the divorce be filed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New York.. NO fault divorce
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to get this filed and finished quickly.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
Yes, you and your wife can amicably agree to the divorce, and you can both sign the paperwork, and get this over with. You should be able to find everything you need for this uncontested divorce here:
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm hearing is we can go to a notary together, sign all the paperwork and file it at County Clerks office and there will be no need to serve her papers and this will expedite the divorce more quickly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still reading that she needs to be served??? If she is there in person when we file and all papers are notarized together when we go to file will this save the time needed for her to be served?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
If she signs the documents necessary for the divorce, then there is clearly no reason to have her served. The purpose of having a party to a lawsuit served is so they have notice of the lawsuit. If she agrees to waive service and sign the paperwork, then it is unnecessary to have her served.