Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I need to determine which county in NC has Jurisdiction over

Customer Question

I need to determine which county in NC has Jurisdiction over a child custody case. Can I havea attorney submit paperwork for incorrect Jurisdiction, and have the defendant pay my attorney fees. The father filed a motion with a court Date of July 27, 2015 for permanent custody on the basis that he's relocating from Guildford County, Greensboro NC on June 26, 2015 (Closing on a house) in Harrisburg, NC Cabarras County. The Children have resided in Mecklenburg County, Charlotte, NC for 5 -6 years with the mother as the primary custodial parent.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If you and the father have ever gotten a custody order, the original court retains jurisdiction. So in that scenario, he has to go back to whichever court heard the case initially. N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 50A-202.
If there has never been an order, he needs to file where the children have lived for at least 6 months. You have the ability to file a Motion to Dismiss the case and make him refile it in the correct county.
You are free to hire a lawyer to file the motion, however, the law unfortunately would not allow you to recover attorney's fees from him.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.