JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

Iknow that Texas does not recognize alienation of affection

Customer Question

Iknow that Texas does not recognize alienation of affection when someone interfere rest with a marriage. I do realize it takes two people. My husband and this woman had 1 physical encounter at the time she was his EA for 1 week. She then quit to work for her husband thinking she could keep the " non existing relationship going. She bombarded him with emails, nude pics, etc I have some of this in my possession. They erased everything. My husband and I have both talked to divorce attorneys and would really try to work on our marriage.
Do I have any civil grounds for the emotional, mental, physical distress she has caused me and my family? I have spent thousands of dollars in therapy to deal with this. I have emailed, talked to her in person, called her, and only asked for a cencere apology, and that she tell her husband. Her and her husband have been ugly to me as if I am the bad guy.
The physical part is increased number of migraines. Also, I feel this is so unresolved and she is not accountable it has consumed me. I have had to cut back on work since I am in the medica field.
Please hep!!!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Do I have any civil grounds for the emotional, mental, physical distress she has caused me and my family?
While there is a cause of action in Texas for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, courts have traditionally not allowed it in divorce cases since it is covered by alienation of affection.
I have seen people try and sue for this, but I've never seen anyone be successful. However, this is the kind of thing that will depend on the judge and the facts with some judges possibly allowing it and some facts making it clear that it is a separate tort from alienation of affection.