Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

My daughter wants to marry a man who is on sec.8[what ever

Customer Question

My daughter wants to marry a man who is on sec.8[what ever that is]. what problems is she likely to encounter if she marrys him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for your question.
Q. My daughter wants to marry a man who is on sec.8[what ever that is]. what problems is she likely to encounter if she marrys him?
A. The Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) is a federal program that assists very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford housing in the private market by paying part or all of their rent.
There are no inherent problems with marrying someone who benefits from the Section 8 program. However, there are challenges that come with being in a long-term relationship with someone who is not able (at least for now) to contribute in any substantial way (financially) to the household.
These challenges may include having to be the breadwinner in the family, being primarily or solely responsible for the bills, household goods, groceries, child care, transportation, etc.
For some, this is not a problem at all, especially if they choose not to follow traditional gender roles. However, for more traditional couples, if the husband is expected to provide and cannot, then the resulting financial insecurity could prove overwhelming and may even lead to a break up of the marriage.