Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

You did answer my concern, I just want to know can I

Customer Question

Hi you did answer my concern, I just want to know can I start the paperwork and file with the courts in Mi? Also is there and grounds that she can contest my grandchildren visiting even if I'm paying for the visits. She has married and she continues to
lie to me about the whole situation and also they want to see their dad.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm sorry to say, the case has to be filed in the state where the children are living. A judge in Michigan wouldn't have authority over parents and children that live in Maryland, so a Michigan judgement doesn't help you.
She can contest visitation on the grounds that she is the parent, and the law presumes that parents know what is best for their own children. You have to be able to overcome that presumption to show that visitation with you is in their best interests.
Any issues with the father would have to be filed by him, also in the state where the children currently live. You as grandparent unfortunately don't have any standing to enforce the father's right to see the kids.