Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I would like to know my rights as a grand parent. I live in

Customer Question

I would like to know my rights as a grand parent. I live in the state of Michigan and my grandchildren live in the state of Maryland. Their mother and I have been communicating about the kids coming to spend a week or two with me. But now every time the discussion comes up she has all these excuses. I have always been apart of their live until I moved back to Michigan ,so I traveled to Virginia last year and she brought the kids over for the last day of my stay. Made plans again for this summer and spoke to her last night an again she came up with all these excuses. I love my grandchildren and we have always had a great relationship and they did visit with me when they were younger when I lived in MI. Please tell me what are my rights. Also why do I have to keep paying to get a simple answer regading this matter. I've paid on this site several times
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
If the children live in Maryland, then the law of that state would apply. Currently, the law simply provides that a court may grant "reasonable visitation" to a grandparent if it is in the best interests of the child. The statute does not provide any means of determining the best interests of the child, but some criteria have been set forth in case law, and the result was not good for grandparents.
Here's a link to the statute: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gfl§ion=9-102&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5
Thus, you can file a petition in court in Maryland and ask the judge to grant you visitation rights to your grandchildren......but that's the only way to force the issue if your daughter will not voluntarily allow it.