Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

What is the Florida law pertaining to leaving a 29 year old

Customer Question

What is the Florida law pertaining to leaving a 29 year old mentally retarded person (our daughter) who can care for herself throughout the day. While her parents work.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Has your daughter been declared mentally incompetent by a probate court judge with you being appointed as her guardian?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, in the state they consider her an adult. We are not her legal guardians.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then if you are not her legal guardians and her your ward, then there is no legal duty to supervise another adult and ensure that their activities are being monitored. If her cognitive function is high enough so that she is able to function on her own and isn't legally incompetent, then there would be no requirement that the parents have her supervised while they were at work.
.
According to FL Dept of Children and Families, Florida doesn't have any set rules about when a parent can leave a child home unsupervised. But that applies to minor children and individuals deemed legally incompetent, not someone who is mentally impaired but is legally considered an adult.
.
So the bot***** *****ne is that there is no requirement for her to be supervised while you are at work.
.
.
thanks