CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Last September I dated a man who was in the process of finalizing

Customer Question

Last September I dated a man who was in the process of finalizing his divorce. In December he moved back home because he could not afford to pay two households. He told me he was saving money to proceed with the divorce. Last week, he sent an e-mail to his wife, which was meant for me stating he wanted me. She called me, and told me I dodged a bullet. I told her the last time I saw her husband was last September. I apologized and told her I was told they were in the process of getting a divorce. Since that time, she has called me 9 times. In addition, she has called my job 8 times, warning me to stay away from her husband. She has caused total humiliation on my job. I have not seen her husband since he moved back home. She could have cost me my job. How do I stop her from calling my job? In addition, what kind of recourse do I have for her contacting my job? Thank you!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, while she has behaved in an obnoxious and annoying manner, she has not threatened you with physical harm, if she were to do this, you could file for a civil restraining order (see this article for a discussion of what that entails and the standards that you would need to meet to get such an order: http://www.cobar.org/index.cfm/ID/0/subID/274/Understand-Protective-Orders/).Some attorneys are willing to write a letter to such a person asking them to stop contacting their clients in the future, but it really doesn't have any force of law - so there isn't legal leverage behind it. I am sorry that you suffered this fallout from this person's behavior, and hopefully they will cease this conduct in the future, but currently you have not suffered what would be recognized as compensable damages (you did not lose your job), so there is no cause of action you could bring against her.If you do want to contact a local attorney to see if they will write a letter on your behalf, You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).