Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

What are the laws concerning a parent that kicks a 17 year

Customer Question

What are the laws concerning a parent that kicks a 17 year old child out but tells them they can't stay with the stepmom (dad is out of the country on business). Can she stay here with or can her mom call the cops and take her back, even if she is the one that kicked her out? What rights does the 17th year old have?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the child is under 18 then they are a minor and the parent who kicked them out could be criminally charged with abuse or neglect for doing so. By law, a parent or guardian has a legal duty to provide care, housing and support for a child until they turn 18 and are legally considered to be an adult.
.
But as for taking the child in and making sure they have a place to stay, there is nothing illegal or improper about doing so. If the mother didn't like it and tried to call the police and claim she was a runaway, then the child can tell the police that she was forced out of the home and the mother could then be charged with a criminal offense.
.
.
thanks