Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Subject: DivorceThe opposing party

Customer Question

Subject: Divorce The opposing party ("Wife," also in this case the Petitioner) charges the "Defendant" a $1,500.- penalty for having dismissed her former out-of-state case, because the "Defendant" decided to stay married. Yet, the "Wife's" own lawyer confided to the "Defendant" that the former out-of-state-case had to be dismissed so as to allow the "Wife" to submit herself to the jurisdiction of the "Defendant's" State of residence. The "Defendant" feels it is an unjustified charge. I would appreciate your opinion! Thanks, ***** *****

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardTo be clear1 - A divorce was filed in the state of the Petitioner/wife?2 - You then had it dismissed and it was re filed or will be re filed in your state of residence?3 - The "penalty" is an attorney's fee incurred due to the change and re filing?