How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorce Parent financial obligation 0ver 18. My daughter is 22 and is a full

Customer Question

Divorce Parent financial obligation for children 0ver 18. My daughter is 22 and is a full time student in collage. She is not married and her father stopped helping her financially at the age of 18 does, she have the right to claim financial help from her father until 26.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Under PR law, Child Support is payable until 21 years of age. A minor may be emancipated prior to reaching the age of majority by virtue of marriage, judicial decree or parental consent, if child is beyond 18 years old.
Support beyond the age of majority could be ordered only by the court if the child is a full time student, maintains good academic progress and can demonstrate economic needs to justify continuation of support.
That means your daughter would need to sue and bring the matter to court and show that she is not able to work and be in school at the same time and has no way of supporting herself.