Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?

Customer Question

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason I am asking is because of the situation. I really do not have the financial means to support a lawyer, and this household by myself....
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
In which US state do you need pro bono representation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
texas
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.
Lawyers here cannot actually represent customers on their off site matters. It would be a violation of the terms of service here, as JustAnswer is not a law firm. However, here's a list of pro bono agencies in your state.
apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/freehelp.cfm?id=TX
You may have to make a number of phone calls, but you should be able to find some hand-on assistance. Also, lawyers in the pro bono loop may know of others, so don't get too discouraged.
Texas has a number of law schools. A good resource available for free or low priced legal assistance is law school clinics where law students research, write and handle actual cases and issues under the supervision of a practicing professor/lawyer. Some of these law school clinics have excellent reputations, and if a court appearance is called for, the professor goes to court.
Law students are trained legal researchers. They are energetic, idealistic and enjoy putting their efforts into a cause they can believe in. Here's a link to Texas Law school clinics. The kinds of clinics that they have are noted on the list. These clinics are either free to the public or have a sliding fee scale.
https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+law+school+clinics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Good luck!