Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband filed this past Monday in the court

Customer Question

My husband filed for divorce this past Monday in the court of law, bringing the police to our home and requesting custody of our two sons, ages 12 & 14. We decided to reconcile Wednesday morning, however that paperwork had already been mailed to be filed by his attorney. The papers were never served. What are the ramifications regarding my parental rights given these recent circumstances?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Georgia
What have you tried so far?: I met with an attorney today. He is meeting with his attorney this Tuesday in order to reverse his filing. Will this affect my parental rights, given that I have not been served?

Response:Your parental rights are not affected whether you are served or not served, and whether the divorce has been filed or not filed. Both of you continue to have equal custody of the children until the Court issues a Custody Order.