How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How you doing? I reside in Chicago, IL the case is from Kansas Cit

Customer Question

Hi, how you doing? I reside in Chicago, IL the case is from Kansas City, MO. First off I had my saving account frozen, then a week later my checking account. I was out of work last year for about 4 months, when I found a job I worked 4 months before child support and back child support started come BACK out or my income in November 2014. Six months later they freeze my accounts, which hinders me to continue to work, pay bills, reside, and basically survive. They claim they sent a notice to levy my accounts which I never recieved. The amount they claim is owed is 500 dollars, I think something could have been worked out to take maybe an extra 50 a month to catch up. Why was this option NEVER considered? and What can I do to resolve this matter? Thank for your assistance
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,
I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation.
It sounds as though you were never personally served with a petition and summons indicating you were being sued and the creditor obtained a default judgment against you, which permits them to attach and seize assets to satisfy the judgment.
What you would typically need to do under these circumstances is to file a motion to vacate the judgment and then seek to settle the matter with the creditor if possible.
Here is a link which provides information on this type of motion:
Here is a link to a packet of forms which includes a sample motion to vacate for your reference:
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!