Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I'm trying to figure out what kind of liability I might expect

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure out what kind of liability I might expect when my son is born. The mother and I are not married and she is on emergency Medical (Medicaid).Can the state or federal government go after an unmarried father for prenatal care and birth expenses if the mother is on welfare (Medacaid)?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
Generally speaking, no. Federal/state agencies by and large do not seek reimbursement from either parent for services that the custodial parent qualifies for. So this should not be an issue here.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if SHE qualifies for MEDICAID and I do not because of my income? And then I sign the birth certificate and get some custody; should I have to reimburse MEDICAID for all the birth expenses? Am I going to be liable for this?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Pepe,
What if SHE qualifies for MEDICAID and I do not because of my income?
It is up to the program to decide whether or not the applicant qualifies. Unmarried couples generally apply as single. Staying unmarried enables each party to qualify individually for public benefits, such as Medicaid, without draining the other party's resources counting.
And then I sign the birth certificate; should I have to reimburse MEDICAID for all the birth expenses? Am I going to be liable for this?
No, someone in your situation should not be.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.