Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

An ex-girlfriend got a TRO against my son in San Diego. The

Customer Question

An ex-girlfriend got a TRO against my son in San Diego. The alleged incident happened in Iowa. His lawyer is going to try and fight that the jurisdiction should be moved to Iowa. They filed in CA because she lives there and CA is a state that tends to side with females in RO cases. She lied throughout her deposition. My son filed a RO against her in Iowa; she did not want to be served and evaded it for several weeks. A friend (who did not know that he had a TRO against him) called her at work from my son's phone. She did not answer and this friend did not leave a message. The only reason they (her lawyers) knew was because they pulled her call log. They are not stating that jurisdiction has been moved to SD because of the phone call. Are they correct?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: The "jurisdiction cannot be moved to SD" because a phone call was placed from his phone. However, the State of California may asserts its jurisdiction in the case if the alleged incidents were directed to her when she is in California--the State would exercise long-arm jurisdiction over him because the alleged harm was caused in California. However, based on the information that you have provided here, the alleged violation of the Restraining Order (the phone call) should not be the basis for "changing the jurisdiction" in the case.