Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can Parental Rights Termination be reversed in the State of

Customer Question

Can Parental Rights Termination be reversed in the State of Maine
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Yes. Terminated parental rights can be reinstated. See Maine Statutes Title 22 Chapter 1071 Section 4059:
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/22/title22sec4059.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if the kids have been adopted. Can some kind of visitation be established? How long would you think these proceeding take? Do the grandparents have visitation rights even though the parents rights were terminated by the court?
Your follow-up questions now include issues that were never part of your initial post. The policy of this site requires that you open a new thread for these questions.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. Sorry. So back to original thought. When it comes to proving to state that the parent is fit to have it reversed. Does thend parents significant other have to go through a background check to prove the home is fit for the children?
Response: It depends on the reasons that the parental rights were terminated in the first place. The parent must show that she or he has met the conditions for restoration of his/her parental rights and that may include not living with people that the state considers not in the best interest of the children.