P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My son is an inmate at vandalia correctional facility. He has

Customer Question

My son is an inmate at vandalia correctional facility. He has a baby girl with a girl who lives here in rockford illinois. She is trying to leave out of state with the baby and cut off contact with us the grandparents and her visits with her father. Is there anything that I as a grandparent can do to stop her from leaving the state?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma.
I am sorry for this dilemma. There is something you can do. You can file a motion (a motion is a formal request with the court) asking the court to grant you visitation with the child.
The court has the power to order visitation to the grandparents. And the court will do so if it can be demonstrated such visitation will be in the best interest of the child.
Now, you will need to have a local attorney prepare and present this motion to the court.
If you can demonstrate to the court that the child spending time with you would be in the best interest of the child? The court will grant visitation.... In conjunction with this the court can also order of the child not be removed from the state.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.