Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I married my husband on July 16, 2002 and was reassured by

Customer Question

I married my husband on July 16, 2002 and was reassured by the attorney that his divorce would be officially signed off before that but the judge signed off on July 22, 2002 our wedding was planned already in Las Vegas but the divorce was in New York, is my marriage legal
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Unfortunately no, the marriage wouldn't be legal because until the judge signs off on the final divorce decree, the previous marriage wouldn't have been dissolved. Since he would have still been legally married when your marriage occurred, it would be "void ab initio" which means "void from the beginning".
.
So from a purely legal perspective, unless you were to get married again, then you wouldn't be legally considered to be married now.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks