Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My exwife owes $ 20,000 child support now she moved to sri

Customer Question

my exwife owes $ 20,000 child support now she moved to sri Lanka and is married will the state help me becuse she has a bench warrent ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
The U.S. Dept of Justice may help. The U.S. Attorney Office (federal prosecutor office) decides who to extradite, essentially. They have discretion and choose serious criminal matters over others often. See here. One can also contact the STATE asking the state to lobby the U.S. Attorney Office as well to act on extradition.
However, if she has a warrant, then the U.S. Dept of Justice may move to extradite her, especially if the warrant is criminal in nature (warrants for child support are from family court, not criminal). However, it is worth a shot and the first thing would be to contact that office asking for action on the case.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.