Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have epilepsy and i have 2 kids. one of my kids is autistic.

Customer Question

i have epilepsy and i have 2 kids. one of my kids is autistic. my older kid is from another marriage. i live in arkansas and i am going thru a divorce and the law changed about epilepsy that you cant use that on you. Arkansas doesnt have the epilepsy foundation so the kid lawyer used that on me and took my kids. My husband is very abusive and always told me if i said anything he would use my seizures and take my kids. my husband has gotten worse and worse but when the kids lawyer asked if my husband hurt my kids I said mostly not but my daughter told me that he wont let her out of her room unless she hears everything the lawyer talked he said it seemed it was okay to abuse me. the law changed last year where you cant use seizures on a divorce but those lawyers were able to get away with it and my husband got away with it. My husband hardly has ever worked and liked it that i had SSI. I had a surgery last year and when I woke up, I said well I am good now and I can work. My husband came and said you dont know if it worked. He spent all the SSI that my kids got nothing for christmas bacause my husband spent it all. i am thankful that someone in church gave a present to my daughter and a santa gave one to my son. How can the lawyers do this and use it on me even tho the law changed about seizures but they used it anyway. how can these people get away with it? I lost my kids because of them and it affects my son more than anything.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
I read your extensive facts. However, your question(s), "How can the lawyers do this and use it on me even tho the law changed about seizures but they used it anyway. how can these people get away with it? " are really rhetorical and not ones we can answer.
Also, questions like "what are my rights" "what are my options" or "what is my recourse" really can't be answered either because they are too general.
Is there a specific question with which I could assist? Please be as specific as possible and you can certainly ask follow ups as well.