Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

My son go married on September 20th 2014, But Due to Some legality

Customer Question

my son go married on September 20th 2014, But Due to Some legality they could not let anyone know that they couldn't sign the marriage license until the 22nd. first off is that actually legal??? the reason i am asking is because they are now in the process of filing for a divorce and im wondering if it is even legal since they actually waited 2 more days before they showed they actually got married, and her parents signed off on it
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
It wouldn't be illegal, but it would make the marriage date effective as of the 22nd, not the 20th when any ceremony was actually performed. Typically a marriage license will expire somewhere between 30 and 90 days, depending on the state, so as long as it is signed prior to expiration, the marriage would be valid.
.
It is likely that they couldn't sign until the 22nd because some waiting period had not expired. For example Iowa requires a 3 day waiting period after the license is issued, Maryland 2 days, and IL one day.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you,,,I would have liked to have proven it wasnt legal.. :o). Thank you very Much,This will be a total of $36 correct? That way i will Make sure to Watch
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.. And I completely understand and am sorry the news isn't better..
.
As for the fee, as long as you didn't sign up for any type of subscription with the folks at JustAnswer, it is just a one time charge.
.
If you aren't sure, you can contact customer service to confirm that you didn't sign up for anything. As an independent contractor, I don't know how they handle billing, but I understand from customers that there are a lot of offers to sign up for a subscription...
.
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
.
.
thanks