Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

How do I calculate what I would receive suppor

Customer Question

How do I calculate what I would receive for spousal support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Spousal support is not like child support, in that there is no statutory table for calculating it. The spousal support in CA is based on length of marriage and your annual income, your spouse's annual income and the needs you can demonstrate that you have for support.
Here is a simple child support calculator, which will give you a general guide as to how much you could get, but remember that the court looks at all of the factors and not just incomes to determine if any support is necessary and for how long: http://alimonyformula.com/
Each court in CA has their own calculation, but many use the formula developed by the Santa Clara CA courts and it is as follows:
Alimony equals the payor’s net income multiplied by 40% minus the payee’s net income multiplied by 50%. The net income is derived by taking the
payor's gross monthly income and deducting income tax and Social Security payments. Also, Alimony shall be paid for a minimum number of years calculated by using the following formulas depending on the length of the marriage. For marriages of 0-10 years: 50% multiplied by the length of the marriage; For marriages of 10-20 years: the number of months multiplied by the number of months again and then divided by 240; or For marriages of 20 years or more: equal to length of the marriage.