ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Phone texts and pics have been acquired by my soon-to-be ex-wife

Customer Question

Phone texts and pics have been acquired by my soon-to-be ex-wife through a court subpoena for our divorce. Can she be sharing those documents with just anyone and everyone she wants, or are they still private document? We are in Nebraska.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unless there's a "gag order" (a court order that states that she can't share any document that she acquires through the discovery process, etc...) then she could share any of these documents. In essence they become, for all intents and purposes, "hers". Now often there's a court order (even potentially a "standing order") that states that private documents will remain private. BUt without such an order, then she could do this without recourse.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?