Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

If a parent goes custody is that the same thing as

Customer Question

If a parent goes for full custody is that the same thing as garnishing rights
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
There are two types of custody: physical and legal. Full physical custody means that the child lives with one parent, but does not have any impact on parental rights.
Legal custody is the ability to make decisions regarding the child, like where the child goes to school; what religion, if any, to raise the child in; medical decisions, and things like that. Full legal custody gives one parent the ability to make those types of decisions without consulting the other parents.
Even when one parent has full legal and physical custody, the other parent could still have a right to visitation or a right to modify the orders when circumstances allow for it. One parent getting full custody doesn't mean the other parent automatically loses all rights related to the child.