Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

What does this mean in my child support document "Child support

Customer Question

What does this mean in my child support document "Child support shall continue until the child turns 18,dies, marries or becomes emancipated;provided however that support shall continue for the child if upon reaching the age of 18, the child is still enrolled in high school or its equivalent or until the child turns 20." ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The "or until the child turns 20" language means that, if she still hasn't finished high school at that point, support will end. It's to help ensure that custodial parents still get help while the child is living at home with them, even if they take longer than expected to graduate.

Typically, a child is emancipated when they marry, enlist in the military, or get a job and move out of the parent's home. So, an 18-year-old who decided not to finish high school would be emancipated if he got a full-time job and rented an apartment that he paid for on his own.

That order does not require either parent to pay for the child to go to college. Many parents choose to help their kids go to school, which is wonderful, but it's not legally required of custodial parents or parents who are together, so the law in many states doesn't require non-custodial parents to pay for college absent a specific agreement to do so.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.