LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I filed contempt payment of spousal support. He then

Customer Question

I filed contempt for non payment of spousal support. He then filed Motion and Order to Show cause to terminate spousal support, says I'm cohabitating because I'm rooming with a friend. I now need to file a sworn affidavit along with a Uniform Support Declaration. Is this all I need to file with the courts? I will be preparing the form myself as I have no funds for an attorney
Submitted: 1 year ago via LawDepot.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
You will want to draft and file a Response to Motion and Order to Show Cause and in that response specifically contradict his incorrect statements of fact, bolster your argument with the Affidavit in Support of Response to Motion and also file your Uniform Support Declaration.
You would be better off having a local family law attorney do this for you---but if you have more time than money, you can do it yourself. Virtually every county has a law library. Ask the law librarian to show you where the books on Pleading and Practice are located. Generally there are many volumes of Pleading and Practice books from which you can pick the proper one for your situation. While the librarian is typically not a lawyer, and cannot practice law, most are quite willing to assist you in locating the chapter in the Pleading and Practice book which you will need.
Once you have found the appropriate pleading, you will note that in addition to the sample pleading which contains all of the necessary structure for your Pleading, there may also be suggestions to make your pleading more persuasive. Prepare your pleading in accordance with the suggested format in the book, inserting the facts of your case as you know them to be. Then all you will need to do is to draft the pleading on your computer, print it out and file the original with the court while serving the other party, or their attorney, with a copy.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug