Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can an officer of the law call me from another state from oxford

Customer Question

Can an officer of the law call me from another state from oxford mississippi. I'm in waco Texas and tell me that I am not allowed d to come to graduation of my 19 yrr old. She isn't the complainant apparently th officer wasn't sure. But said I had been threatening family there he wasn't sure but maybe my father who lives in Del Rio Texas . can he tell me that I can't not come to graduation
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:
1) Is there a restraining order against you, or not sure?
2) Do you know the officer personally?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I've heard or been told do I have any kind of order against me and I've not called anyone and threatened this came at me out the blue today she grads next week and I text her and apparently she was unaware also because her response was ....what.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no I do not know him at all by I saw when googled him he does running and Marathons and my ex is also an avid runner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
So please let me know if I understand this correctly:
1) Someone claiming to be an officer called you;
2) Telling you that there is restraining order against you from him or someone that he knows; and
3) Not to come to that county.
However, you know neither the officer or whoever they are calling for.
Correct?
If incorrect, please AMEND the above to reflect the proper situation.
Also, what is the NUMBER that they called you from, so I can verify that it is real?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there isn't I asked him if there was and ask who complained he couldn't say anything but something of my father that yes is in another part the country then him or me and my daughter was surprised I called me back and then he said the school said I couldn't he is claiming to be an officer with layfette county Mississippi and I was gonna be arrested if I came to grad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Johnathon granthom with layfette county sheriff dept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
So I understand this correctly?
"1) Someone claiming to be an officer called you;
3) Not to come to that county."
This is very important. Sorry, devil is in the details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wouldn't say who I threatened just I did brought that bout my father to deflect my question concerning a restraining order which no when I pressed further he went to the school layfette county school in oxford ms that they said I couldn't come but there is no restraining and yes he
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No restraing he said no but that I would be arrested if I came to grad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I specifically asked about a restraing order he said there was none.and he said he was with layfette county sheriff(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And yes I was not to show up at graduation or I would be arrested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I asked who it was I threatened all he could come up with was mumbling bout my father in Del Rio Texas who's been there for 30yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And yes basically don't come to this county ms Stanley which isn't even my name its my maiden from 20yrs ago my last name is ***** ***** Angela k.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Have you called the Lafayette County Sheriff's office to confirm this person works for them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm afraid they too will say in cant see her grad. Even though I know I've not donenwrongnits hurts a lot and I've been a little choked up
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Would you be willing to make a call to them just to ask if this individual really works for them? This would really help clarify the matter greatly. I can even provide a number.
The reason I ask is because once we get this confirmation (or they say that no such individual works there), this will really help clarify the matter.
I would not worry, you do not have to say WHO you are, but simply that you received a call from the individual and want to confirm identity.
Let me know if this is something you are willing to do