Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I married my wife 2 years ago in Sacremento CA (confidential

Customer Question

Hi
I married my wife 2 years ago in Sacremento CA (confidential marriage) without telling our parents. Now, we want to get married and announce it to everybody (ceremony, wedding, etc.). Both our families are muslims and its hard for them to accept the fact that we got married "legaly" only. It may destroy the marriage.
Can we safely get married again in Cincinnati Ohio where my wife parents live?
Note: We're both not US citizens. I live in Kuwait and she has Palestinian citizenship. She's here on a student Visa but her entire family are Americans.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this question.
Abdullah
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you can get married again in Ohio and because you are already legally married, you do not need a new license in Ohio and do not need to do anything other than arrange for someone to do the ceremony and perform it. You do not have to register the marriage in OH and you need no license. It is just a religious ceremony in accordance with your religious beliefs.