RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

How long does a divorce typically take? My wife wants to

Customer Question

How long does a divorce typically take? My wife wants to fill fro divorce but she is out-of-state from where we live and she is a resident of the state we live in. I know she can't fill for one from out-state
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
I see from your previous questions that you are in Idaho, so I am assuming that is where you are living now.
It's very hard to give you an exact answer, because like in all states, a lot depends on how quickly paperwork is filed, how quickly the court clerk processes it through, how soon it ends up scheduled on a judge's calendar (and how busy that calendar is), etc.
As a general rule, in an uncontested divorce, where you agree on everything, a couple can be divorced in a month to six weeks (sometimes less, sometimes more). But, if you are not in agreement about issues, a divorce can take months or longer as you go to mediation, argue, etc., and eventually potentially end up in a divorce trial in front of a judge (and again, you still have to wonder how long it's going to take to get on a judge's calendar). I've worked in firms where divorce cases were going on after two or more years because couples couldn't agree on division of assets, or custody, etc.
Thus, every case is different. Ideally, if you agree on everything, you can be done pretty quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. How can I get my child's custody? I'm not a US citizen and was applying for a green card but I was in the process. How can i see my kid if i have to leave the US?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
As I'm not familiar with immigration issues, I'll opt out in favor of an expert who may be able to answer this question better.
Kindly do not reply to this message as the system will only then send the question right back to me to answer, which could delay another expert seeing this question.
Thank you.