Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

In Louisiana how many years of marriage before the spouse is

Customer Question

In Louisiana how many years of marriage before the spouse is entitled to the other spouses 401k plan?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
A spouse is automatically entitled to one half of any 401(k) contributions that occur during the marriage, whether they're married 1 day or 40 years. This is because all earnings during the marriage are marital property and are subject to equitable distribution.
There is no amount of time that would give a spouse entitlement to 401(k) assets deposited before the marriage began, absent a prenuptial agreement or other written agreement that says so. However, in a long term marriage, a spouse may be able to request alimony from the other spouse. The judge will consider 401(k) income when deciding whether to award support and how much.
Usually, a long term marriage is considered to be 10 years, but a person who cannot support himself or herself is allowed to request spousal support no matter how long they've been married. There isn't a bright-line rule.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.