Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I am in the process of going through a divorce. September

Customer Question

I am in the process of going through a divorce. September 12th will be the two year mark. About a year into this process, which I feel is getting no where fast, my husband changed lawyers. He hired an attorney that was a judge for three years in county we in. My question is, is there anything that can be done, as far as conflict. I feel that when he was a judge, they all get together and get close to one another. I feel that the judge will start letting my husband get away without doing things that he is and has been in contempt of court. The last hearing, which was two weeks ago, we went because my husband did not turn in all his financial records. The judge kept giving him more and more time, and now it is up to me to get a third party supeona to get the records. I really don't understand why I have to do his work for him. There is a little more to this, but it will be really long. I feel I will not get a fair trail.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
My apologies but that is not a conflict of interest under law. Most judges and really most attorneys know one another. Unless this judge ever presided over your case or cases, he is not aware of your facts and is there not engaged in a legal conflict. I realize that this is not an answer that you hoped to hear, but attacking him on conflict would not work, there has to be a direct connection. The fact that your spouse's new attorney is now more knowledgeable and has better contacts is not a crime or a violation, and it is not seen as unfair since you could potentially hire someone similar to help you with your case.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, but since I have ten more minutes with you, I would like to ask you more questions. If a court hearing was two weeks ago and (sorry I'm not sure what it is called) what the judge decided, one of the attorneys send the other one paper work to sign and file with the court. Is two weeks too long to get paper work done?
Hi, that depends on the paperwork. Typically the process of 'discovery' (collecting information prior to trial), can take 45 days, and that may be what is necessary prior to filing. As far as the filing itself, there is typically a state deadline or requirement to file depending on what is being filed, sometimes that is 30 days, sometimes 14. Without knowing exactly what it is that is supposed to be filed, I cannot really tell you if that is reasonable or not. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hope that helps, and kindly do not forget to positively rate for the services provided. Thank you! Sincerely, ***** *****