Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Illinois, can a putative father be forced to pay

Customer Question

In Illinois, can a putative father be forced to pay for prenatal care? There is no DNA test performed and so far he has refused to take one, and he does not admit paternity.
Once paternity is established after birth as part of a child support court action, can there be a further action to recover prenatal expenses?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
Not without a court confirmation. In other words, while he may be a putative father, there is no mandate that he pay child support unless the Court orders this, and it only would if a DNA test confirms he is the father, or, he concedes to the fact. See here and scroll down to No Connection Between Putative Father Registry and Paternity.
The answer is yes. However, this action is generally at the time of the child support/custody matter and the Court can - at discretion - award prenatal expenses as part of child support.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.