Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

On Friday may 8 my lawyer called and told me that the judge

Customer Question

On Friday may 8 my lawyer called and told me that the judge had entered his decision in my disability case and that he ruled in my favor. What are the next steps and what is the timeframe? i was told I would start out receiving ssi for about six months
and then I would receive disability. Why does it take so long to get ssd ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.
The next steps are that you will receive two checks. The shortest waiting time to receive these checks and your ssdi kicks in is around 3 months. The first check is your monthly SSDI award. This amount is determined by the length of time you worked in the past and how much you contributed to SSA. The second check is Social Security Disability back pay. The amount that you receive in back pay is determined by the date that you became disabled.
While you are waiting for your checks to arrive, there are things that you can do to simplify your documentation of how your money is spent: 1. Make an appointment to meet with an accountant who has experience with SSI/SSDI programs. When your retroactive back pay arrives, if you have been awarded SSI, money in a general bank account could count as assets and affect SSI eligibility, so your accountant can help you find a way to set up a special account for disability-related expenses. If you are working, make sure that your earnings are less than SGA. Any money not spent or placed in a savings account must be documented annually.