Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My husband of 18 years says he obtaind a forgien divorce i

Customer Question

My husband of 18 years says he obtaind a forgien divorce i was never notified or signed anything he remarried were do i stand
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. It is hard to say. Foreign divorces are recognized in NY; however, the divorce decree would then need to be registered in the NY courts. And the divorce would need to be legal in the country where it was obtained. If you were never served or notified, it is possible there is no divorce because it would not be done in accordance with the laws of the country where it was obtained.I suggest, that you would consider consulting with a local attorney who can assist by checking local court records to see if there has been anything registered in this regardPlease NOTE that I can only provide informational answers to what you askTherefore, if you have other questions or need clarification in this regard, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.Thank you