Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I Live in California and have Joint legal but I do have

Customer Question

I Live in California and have Joint legal but I do have physical custody. I am planning to visit Mexico on a family vacation where I was born and my ex does not want to give our 5 year old permission to go. He wont even go with me to give permission to get her passport. what forms do I file to request permission from the court. Or what can I do?

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.
You will need to get a modification to your custody order that allows you to take the child for trip to Mexico. If the court finds that this is in the child's best interest and there is little risk that you will not return with the child, it can grant an order allowing you to travel with the child even without the other parent's permission.
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl300.pdf
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl300info.pdf
The links above have the forms and instructions.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to file this even if our previous custody agreement in court does not have any restrictions on traveling and I have sole physical custody?

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Yes, because you cannot get a passport without his permission.
Minors under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor.
If one parent is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent.
If your court order granted sole legal custody without the child’s travel restricted by that order, then you could apply for the passport without dad's permission.
Based on what you have stated, you will need a court order specifically permitting you to apply for the child’s passport. So, you will need to go back to court.