Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am going pro-se on a divorce case that is still going due

Customer Question

I am going pro-se on a divorce case that is still going due to outstanding parental time not yet established. Given that my ex has abandoned my child since he was 3 years old and did not reappare until my child turned 4 years old, a GAL is assigned to the case. With legal fees racking up due to his lack of follow-through with my child's therapists' advice and recommendation, I had to make the difficult decision to let go after my lawyer. I'm pretty clear headed in the outstanding motion and somewhat know what I need to stick to (facts!). However, what I'm not certain and makes me nervous on is how to write the final order whether it's a status court session or a hearing session. Since my ex is also pro se, in the past, my lawyer wrote those orders. I want to know whether I should be the one to take on that responsibilities and if so, if there is any approach I should take in summarizing what was ordered by the judge. I want to make sure, for instance, that I also use the write templates with the right carbon sheets inserted so that I produce the accurate number of copies from my writing. I've seen my previous lawyer taking various sheets from the open cabinets. Since I was sitting so far away, I have no idea what the logistics were when the orders were written. I also thought that maybe the GAL can write it up but I don't know if it's appropriate to ask him to do so. I know it's a long winded question but basically I want to know what to do to ensure that the final words from the judge is accurately reflected in the write-up soon after the judge says 'next' to hear the next case. I also want to know whom do I go up to to get that writing filed. If it makes a difference, I reside in Chicago, IL and it's heard in domestic courts in Cook County. Thanks!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I suggest you will prepare the Order, if it is on your Motion.If it is on his Motion, let him prepare it and file it. If it is an Order for something you both have agreed to in a compromise, I suggest you draft and file the Order to ensure it gets done and not "forgotten" The order is filed with the clerk of the court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How many copies are needed and how do I ensure the right number of copies are created with the carbon paper? I believe I need to be the one writing it. Will the judge verify the accuracy or will the clerk?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
You have a computer so type it up, print as many copies as you need. I suggest you need 3 copies - one for yourself, one for the other party and one for the court for the Judge to sign. Once the Judge signs it the clerk will forward all parties a copy.
The other party will verify the accuracy. The judge may glance over it and if anything jumps out they might call on it. But generally, it is up to the parties to ensure accuracy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think I can use a computer and print the response as there are no printers there as I recall. My previous laywer had always used carbon copies. I think I just need to get the clerk to help me with how to compile the papers with the carbon paper. Unfortunately, it's not a set of docs and from what I can tell, they had to grab papers from several bins with various colors before handwriting the order.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
I see. I am not familiar with that part of the process. I will opt out and another professional may be able to better assist you with that. Thanks and good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!