Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My spouse refuses to disclose his or her financial standing?

Customer Question

My spouse refuses to disclose his or her financial standing? What is my legal recourse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Are you going through a divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not filed for it as yet.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.I asked because, if you weren't, there really isn't any way. When there's a divorce, it becomes much easier.First, once he's been served with notice of the divorce, you can send him Interrogatories, which are a list of written questions about his finances. You can also send Requests for Production of Documents, asking him to give you bank account statements, cancelled checks, pay stubs, tax returns - anything you want. (It doesn't have to only be financial information. You can ask for anything that might be relevant to the divorce.) Requests for documents are unlimited. You only get 30 Interrogatories, including subparts. You could also schedule a deposition, where you can sit down and ask your husband questions under oath.The other option is to get a blank subpoena from the clerk of the court and serve it on his bank, if you know where he banks. That will give you statements and cancelled checks and could help. You can find the full Kentucky Discovery rules at this link. If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.