Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

How can I regain custody of a child I previously adopted out

Customer Question

How can I regain custody of a child I previously adopted out and relinquished parental rights for?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Since you relinquished parental rights, by law, you no longer have any relationship with the child by which to regain custody.
If you are going to have a shot at this, you would need to see if you can now adopt the child as per the Texas laws at the link below:
http://www.childadoptionlaws.com/child_adoption_laws/adoption_laws_texas.htm
IL appears to have a law on the books that will allow this, but I am not finding one that directly interprets this in Texas.
You may want to contact an adoption lawyer in Texas:
http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Lawyer_Referral_Service_LRIS_
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe i should had worded my question better.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was told i had ten days to withdraw consent
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.161.htm
The law is at the link above.
1. Consent is IRREVOCABLE if baby is relinquished to the State OR to a state-licensed adoption agency whose relinquishment document clearly states it is irrevocable. See Section 161.103 (e)
2. A relinquishment in any other affidavit of relinquishment is revocable unless it expressly provides that it is irrevocable for a stated period of time not to exceed 60 days after the date of its execution.
3. A relinquishment in an affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights that fails to state that the relinquishment is irrevocable for a stated time is revocable as provided by Section(###) ###-####
Sec.(###) ###-#### REVOCABILITY OF CERTAIN AFFIDAVITS. An affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights that fails to state that the relinquishment or waiver is irrevocable for a stated time is:
(1) revocable only if the revocation is made before the 11th day after the date the affidavit is executed; and
(2) irrevocable on or after the 11th day after the date the affidavit is executed.
SO: - PRIVATE adoptions have a ten day revocation period.
HERE IS THE PROCESS:
To revoke your relinquishment under Subsection (e) you must sign a statement witnessed by two credible persons and verified before a person authorized to take oaths.
A copy of the revocation shall be delivered to the person designated in the affidavit.
If a parent attempting to revoke a relinquishment under this subsection has knowledge that a suit for termination of the parent-child relationship has been filed based on the parent's affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights, the parent shall file a copy of the revocation with the clerk of the court.