Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I live in Florida and was divorced in March 2014. I

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Florida and was divorced in March 2014. I did not have an attorney, I was Pro SE. My ex husband and I have a signed MSA (which I did have an attorney read before I signed) that was adopted by the court when the divorced finalized. My MSA granted me alimony $1000.00/mo. The payments began in June 2013 and concluded December 2014. My ex husband refused to make some of the payments, and I was told by the Judge that they could not enforce my MSA until the court adopted it. Long story short, he still owes me just over $8000.00.
My question is, what is the best avenue for me to take to collect the past due money? I was told by the Judge I could get a money judgment against him, but then since he doesn't own property I don't know how I could collect anything. He owns a Car Dealership, but I don't know if I could attach a judgment to his business.
I also saw businesses online that collect past due support payments. I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and thanks for requesting I provide you information in this regard.I suggest once the Money Judgment is entered, you can use a garnishment to collect. You can place the garnishment against his SS number and attach any IRS income tax refunds. I suggest you best recourse in the collection is to contact a local family law attorney who can help you with the filing of the proper documents and also collection. There are attorneys and law firms who specialize in these collections. And you should consider using the Florida Bar Association for a legal referral service. Here is a link for that information.