Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I became divorced 3 years ago. As part of the divorce settlement,

Customer Question

I became divorced 3 years ago. As part of the divorce settlement, agreed upon in court, I was entitled to only 3 years of alimony, and medical insurance coverage for 3 years, from my ex husband's employer for which he did not have to pay since it was a family run business. After approximately a year of being coveredthe decision was made for the business (pre Obama care) That there would be no health insurance for the employees . Therefore as a result I would not be covered either. Up until April of last year when I became eligible for Medicaid I had no medical coverage. I learned this past week that my ex husband had not worked for 2 years at the family business and purposely did not tell me or or the court that he changed jobs. Which left me with no health insurance coverage . Is he liable for this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) You may or may not see a timer on the question. The site is doing some testing, but do not worry, this timer should not get in our way. The question may be answered sooner than the timer ends, or a little after. The timer may reset or it may not. Point is - I will try and make it work for our conversation; and(C) For the sake of clarity I may break my replies into several parts, so there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies. Ergo, until you see me saying "I am ready to be rated," that means I am still working with you and we have not finished yet.I am sorry to hear about this situation. To clarify, you did not know that you were not covered and never attempted to make use of the insurance for for the time that you were not covered. Correct?